Welcome! This is a way for me to share about my experiences as they relate to myself, family, health, compassionate cooking, baking and yoga. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Relaxation

So I've touched on meditation and yoga, but relaxation is another tool to use to calm and center yourself.  Again, I can't stress enough how good this is for children.  One of my favorite aids to use it the Indigo Ocean Dreams CD for children.  It has four stories that guide the children into relaxation and then has a soothing soundtrack at the end.  I notice a huge difference in my children when their energy is so high and all over the place vs. how they feel and act after relaxation.  Even 10 minutes of relaxation seems to do the trick.  I also love how I feel after relaxation.  As crazy as this seems, I actually feel rejuvenated afterwards.

You can practice relaxation just about anywhere, at home, at work or even sitting in your car (you know, when you're waiting on one of your children's practices to end :)    Of course, you want to find as quiet of a  space as possible, but you can drown out any distractions with calming music or guided relaxation CD's.   Make sure you're comfortable, so whatever position that may be, lying flat on your back, on your side or seated.  Make sure you are comfortable temperature wise also, you don't want to be in the middle of your relaxation and get sidetracked due to cold toes.  Depending on my mood, I may also burn incense, but nothing to over-powering.

Relaxation is different for everyone, so find what works best for you.  Some days you may do 5 minutes and others you may want to go for 30.  The goal is to do what makes you feel good.  Start keeping a journal of your relaxation to note how you felt before your session and how you felt after.  You may be surprised at the results.  

No comments:

Post a Comment