Welcome! This is a way for me to share about my experiences as they relate to myself, family, health, compassionate cooking, baking and yoga. Enjoy!

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Family Time


Family time is always an important aspect of our lives, but often I find myself busy with so many other things that, before I know it, I'm climbing into bed, the day is over and I feel like I didn't "see" anyone.

With the holidays bringing even more hustle and bustle into our already overflowing schedules, it ends up feeling like there is even less time for those who matter most.

To avoid falling into the holiday trap, I have devised a way to incorporate family time while also keeping each of ourselves sane through this holiday season.

While each of us already practices yoga, we don't do it together.  So on our black board schedule, that is posted where everyone can see it, I post the time each day that we will be practicing together as a family.  Since we have varying ages, I keep it simple and 45 minutes or less.  This is a really nice way to get everyone together in a peaceful, calming environment.

Understandably, the time will not be the same everyday due to schedules, work or school, but that doesn't matter, the most important thing is that you make the time, even if it's the last ten minutes of the day.  I guarantee this will make your body and mind feel so good and, the fact that you're doing it together, makes it even better.

If you have any leery family members, ask them to be open to just a few minutes a day.  Chances are, by the end of the week, they will be enjoying the way they feel and you can start to increase it slowly.  Be sure to always start with some gentle stretching and end with a few moments of relaxation, it's up to you as to how many poses you want to put in-between.

If you're not sure about what poses or sequences to do, check out Amazon.com for some yoga tools that you may find helpful.  Bookstores are another excellent resource for yoga DVDs or books.

Creating family yoga time will be the best gift you can give to yourself and your loved ones this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment