Welcome! This is a way for me to share about my experiences as they relate to myself, family, health, compassionate cooking, baking and yoga. Enjoy!

Thursday, December 6, 2012

'Tis The Season



Of course you don't need me to tell you that the holiday is all around us.  Although I love seeing all the festive lights and decorations, I find the whole shopping situation a little overwhelming.  Signs hanging in store windows, commercials on the radio and television, ads in magazines and newspapers, even when on the computer, I am bombarded with sales and deals of all the latest items.

At times I find myself engulfed in all the potential gifts I think I need to purchase.  I admit I enjoy seeing the smiles on my children's faces come Christmas morning as they run to the tree to open presents.  However, more and more I am realizing that I, as many of us do, am missing the point.  Whatever your spiritual practice may be, we need to awaken to the true meaning of gifts.  It doesn't have to be all about material items and "must haves".

I won't pretend that I'm not going to buy any gifts this season, but I am pausing to pay more attention to how I feel when I'm shopping.  Instead of feeling this person "needs" this particular item, I am realizing that I am making the purchase because I "want" to. In this practice I am using more self control not to go overboard on gifts that I will be sorting through in six months to give away.  At the same time, I am encouraging my children to not feel they need everything they see.  It's hard for adults, let alone children, to acknowledge and understand the difference in wanting and needing things. I remind my children that they are fortunate to have all of their actual needs fulfilled on a daily basis.   Love, food, shelter and clothing are things they need and should feel blessed that they have.  All the other things are just wants.  I am trying to teach my children, and myself, that material items are not necessarily the best deal.

Giving and receiving gifts is always exciting, but I have noticed I feel even more excitement when I give of my time in ways that actually benefit other beings (human and animal).  Going to shelters to help, volunteering at food banks, donating to charities or giving towards the angel tree are all gifts that have far more reward than anyone can imagine.  Through activities like these, my children and I are seeing that true gifts may not always have a price tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment