Welcome! This is a way for me to share about my experiences as they relate to myself, family, health, compassionate cooking, baking and yoga. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 7, 2015

What Is Yoga Really?


What is yoga?  Well, it might be easier to say what yoga is not. Yoga is NOT a religion.  This may come as a surprise to many. I think Meagan McCrary says it well "Although deeply embedded in Hindu tradition, yoga is not Hinduism, nor do you have to be Hindu to practice yoga.  Yoga is a methodology for personal and spiritual development, composed of different philosophical systems that prescribe a certain way of living and interacting with the world at large, with its own decree of morals, scriptures, physical postures, cleansing practices and breathing and meditation techniques".

I pay special attention to the words, personal development.  Yoga is precisely that, a personal journey, and how you move through that personal journey depends on the individual.  For some, spirituality does not need to enter at all, they are only interested in the physical aspect.  Others bring in their own spiritual beliefs to deepen the practice. That's the whole point of yoga, to find your way, whatever that means to you.  

I thoroughly enjoy practicing and teaching in groups and in private sessions.  The group atmosphere can give a sense of belonging, knowing there are others sharing similar feelings, emotions and energy.  However, private sessions can be equally healing physically, emotionally, mentally and, if you want, spiritually.  

On the physical side, for me, yoga is a way to heal and keep my body fluid.  At almost 42, and having four auto-immune disorders that definitely target mobility, I find it imperative to practice regularly.  There is nothing wrong with those that practice for the pure sake of practice.  I often find though, that the more you practice the postures and begin to see and feel the results, it just naturally causes people to explore further into how yoga can heal on other levels as well, such as mentally and emotionally.    

Knowing how well it makes me feel physically, my practice grew to be more.  I am now more aware of my body, words and actions than I ever have been and how they make myself and others feel.  I was raised Catholic, baptized in a Catholic Church, went to a Catholic school from K-12, married in a Catholic Church and all of our children have been baptized in Catholic Churches.  So of course there are many aspects of the Catholic Church that I follow and believe in, but I also now read and follow portions of other religions as well.  I guess if someone asked me what religion, or spirituality, I follow it would be hard to pinpoint just one.  I use what feels right from many.  What I have found along my own journey is that many religious beliefs overlap and most hold the same value, which is to live a life full of love, kindness and compassion.  So in the end, why should it matter what spirituality you bring into your yoga practice?  As long as you act with pure intentions that are grounded in love, kindness and compassion, isn't that all that should matter?  I think we sometimes get so caught up in OUR way, that we lose sight of what we really believe to begin with. 

What I love about yoga is that there are no set in stone laws or rules, rather, there are guidelines to how you should be living both on and off the mat.  I am sure many would find the yoga guidelines to be quite similar to what they have been taught at Sunday School. Even in a group, yoga is an individual practice.  The individual needs to decide for themselves what works and what does not.  I end my classes with one vibration of OM, but I always let students know that they do not have to do it.  OM, by the way, simply means Universal vibration or sound.  Since we are composed of over 60% water, vibrations can create balance and harmony in the body and mind, but if that doesn't work for some, then don't do it.  

Some people may be turned off of yoga due to the misconception of of deities, which by the way, are not gods per say, rather, they are there as guides.  Deities allow you set your intention, so choosing a deity for wisdom may work some days and others you may be drawn to a deity that promotes compassion.  Regardless of what you follow, deities, gods or God should never be made as the scapegoat for our problems.  Pouring our problems onto them is not their purpose.  Their purpose should be seen as being a base to turn to, looking to them for ways in finding the lessons in all things and to offer support and strength.  So much healing has come to me once I realized this.  We place this false sense of hope in objects, and then feel hurt and let down by them when what we have asked of them does not happen.   

Yoga can be as spiritual or un-spiritaul as each person wants.  The gift that yoga offers is a gift of healing, and however far we want that healing to occur is up to us.  Make your practice one that fits YOUR needs and desires.  Whether you are looking for physical health, or if you are wanting healing on all levels, is something you will decide for yourself. Over time, your practice will change.   Honor yourself by allowing this change, knowing that yoga is always there to support, heal and guide you.     

No comments:

Post a Comment