Welcome! This is a way for me to share about my experiences as they relate to myself, family, health, compassionate cooking, baking and yoga. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pass It On!



I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and am often amazed at how connected people and events are.  I have been practicing yoga for almost 20 years and, about three years ago, my mom mentioned that a local yoga studio offered teacher training to become a certified yoga instructor.  I was instantly intrigued and signed up for the intense 11 month course.  200 hours, several tests, student teaching, numerous books and classes later, I was officially a yoga instructor.  What I walked away with was life changing, but the most incredible thing that occurred was having my eyes opened to the effects foods and drinks have on our body, mind, earth and other beings.  I have loved animals since I can remember so the compassion connection was a no brainer for me.  When hearing how influential foods and drinks are physically, what seemed like a normal and natural diet, now was so obviously inappropriate and unnecessary.

So, up until a few years ago, I was living in blissful ignorance, consuming the SAD diet (standard American diet).  Yes, I would eat fruits, veggies, nuts and grains, but everything was centered around animal flesh and fluids.  When I would have sweets, they were made with hydrogenated oils, butter and damaging sugars.  Let's not forget all the wonderful preservatives, chemicals and dyes that I also was exposing myself to.  It's no wonder why, at a young age, I was suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and multiple auto-immune disorders.  Once learning the truth, there was no way I could continue on my path of destruction.  I started researching and taking courses in plant based nutrition.  The more I learned, the more I felt in control of my life.  Gone were the days of not being able to use my hands or walk because the pain that was previously limiting me was disappearing.  Even more rewarding was the fact that at my doctors appointment to check my blood work, the doctor thought part of my record was missing since I hadn't been in for a visit in over two years.  I couldn't help but beam like a proud parent when I answered, "yes, that is correct, I haven't been here in that long."  As if things couldn't get better, a week later I was given the results that all of my blood work was normal, no protein, vitamin or mineral deficiencies.  Did I mention, while on a SAD diet, I had multiple deficiencies?

I cannot even begin to explain how grateful I am to those that have positively influenced me in helping to find the path that I am now on.  If these people were too afraid to go against the "norm" and not speak out against the SAD diet and animal cruelty, then I would still be living my blissfully ignorant life and still be struggling to get through my days without pain or medication.  For this very reason, I feel compelled to share information with others because most people also live in blissful ignorance.  My goal is not to seem pushy or judgmental, rather, quite the opposite.  I do not feel I am better than omnivores, I simply feel I am making smarter choices for my and my families life.  Although, the way we live may not be 100% fool proof from cancer or disease, if I know things can trigger certain problems, especially those that may seem to run in the family, then why wouldn't I take the necessary steps to help prevent them?  Giving my children and myself a better chance of leading a healthy life well into our senior years by eating a plant based diet can only be viewed as a good thing.  In my life, if I have positively influenced one person to make changes for better health then it is worth the many that I may irritate by my blogs or comments on Facebook and Twitter.  The message I hope to spread is when you learn something that creates positive change, don't be afraid to Pass It On!



No comments:

Post a Comment