Welcome! This is a way for me to share about my experiences as they relate to myself, family, health, compassionate cooking, baking and yoga. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why?



It amazes me how much money and time people and, parents in particular, will spend on the latest fashion statement, the coolest clubs, the quickest meal or the newest gadgets.   When I look around at all the busy lifestyles and the rushing from activity A to activity B, I wonder what it's all about.  I think it's important not to judge people on how they look or what they do, but I find myself disturbed by all the materialistic "necessities" society is shoving in our faces and our children's faces.  Why do they need the latest phone? Why do they need to join the most hip club? Why must they be involved in 10 different activities, to the point that they have no down time?   When I think about all of this I find peace in the simplest answer, yoga.  Yoga is not only good for the physical aspect, but also for the mental and emotional aspects.  Yoga does not have to be anything fancy.  You don't need to practice yoga in a 1000 sq. foot studio decorated like a famous town out of India.  Yoga offers guidance in the smallest of places and can be done in the private of your own home.  Yoga practice doesn't have to last for hours.  Practicing as little as 10 minutes a day will have lasting positive effects.  When I see all the rushing and materialistic madness, I find solace in my practice because it helps me to let go of all the "whys" and allows me to focus on what matters.  My only hope is that others will realize the gift yoga can give, not only for themselves but for their children.  Showing children that it's okay to slow down, center and focus is an invaluable gift to give them, worth far more than any outfit or gadget can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment